Friday, July 28, 2017

Malaysia Grill - New York City

It was a very warm evening in New York City. We were with Andrew and we'd been doing a lot of walking. One of the things we talked about was the food in New York City. Andrew feels that it is not all that good. His budget is limited, which limits his options, but I was surprised. I've always kind of viewed NYC as a city full of wonderful food options, and I guess there are lots of options, just that he feels much of what is available is mediocre. Well, with him living there, we should have plenty of opportunity to try different restaurants out and see what our experience is. 

After a long afternoon and early evening of walking, which included a visit to an art museum, and a walk along the High Line, a long, linear park built above ground on an elevated section of the New York Central Railroad, we got around to discussing dinner. We ended up doing a lot more walking. Finally, later in the evening, we arrived at the Malaysia Grill located at 104th and Broadway. We have a lot of Asian influence in the Los Angeles area and I've eaten at one very good Malaysian restaurant in West Covina, called Penang.  Compared to Penang, this menu was more limited and what we had was not as good, but it was fun to try some more Malaysian food. 
You walk down the stairs from street level to get to the restaurant. 
Judy got the best dish, a pineapple shrimp with nice chunks of fresh pineapple, red onion and green pepper slices and of course, boiled shrimp, all stuffed in a pineapple shell. The presentation was very nice. In fact, looking at the picture makes me want to have some. I didn't taste the shrimp, but the pineapple was nice and Judy enjoyed it. 
I got a noodle dish, I think it was pad thai shrimp, and it was okay.
Andrew got a dish with tofu covered with a dark sauce and lentils, peas, chunks of carrot and beans, perhaps General Tso's Tofu? It was unusual, I've never seen anything like it, and it was pretty good. 
One of us got a salad, perhaps Andrew. I don't have a good picture of it and I did not taste it. Overall, my impression that evening was that it was average food, and for that evening, confirmed Andrew's hypothesis. However, I anxiously await more opportunities to try NYC food and prove him wrong. 

2 comments:

  1. My pineapple shrimp was visually stunning and quite wonderful, a nice, refreshing choice on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to mess up shrimp and pineapple. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete