Friday, September 18, 2015

Yellowfin Tuna Belly Meat, Collar and Filet

One of my partners went deep sea fishing off the California coast recently and caught a bunch of yellowfin tuna. 
Yellowfin Tuna
He brought some of the meat into the office and I got an assortment of belly meat, collars (the area of the head near the gills) and fillets. 
Belly meat closest to the bottom and collars in back.
Fillets
I pulled out the George Foreman Grill, a two sided grill, which is perfect for this type of cooking. It cooks quickly, gives a nice grill stripe on both sides of the meat and helps cook the meat evenly. 
Yellowfin belly meat. You can see how fatty it remains.
I normally find yellowfin kind of dry which is why I particularly like the belly meat and collars which are fatty. For the filet, I under-cooked it a bit and ended up combining it with mayonnaise for a wonderful tuna fish sandwich. 
Collars
Filet, pulled apart and revealing the inner pinkness.
The belly meat is my favorite. Even when cooked completely through, it is moist and avoids the dryness I associate with yellowfin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment