Monday, July 19, 2010

Church of the Holy Apostles - Athens, Greece

The Church of the Holy Apostles in Athens, Greece, is located in the Agora, just north of the Acropolis.
It was on the western side of the Panathenaic Way. It is the only structure in the Agora, other than the Temple of Hephaestus, to survive intact. It was built in the late 10th century over a sacred spring and on the foundations of a 2nd century AD Nymphaeum, a monument consecrated to the nymphs, that usually included a fountain.
It was the first church of the middle Byzantine period in Athens.
The original building was a cross with apses on four sides (each arm was equal) and a narthex on the west side. Below, a picture taken from Mars Hill. The narthex is on the left side.
It had four columns supporting a dome. The altar and floor were originally of marble.
The dome is the oldest example of the Athenian type in Athens.
The double-light windows on the sides of the dome’s drum are rare. It was damaged in 1687 during fighting between the Ottomans and the Venetians. The wall paintings were added in the 18th century when the church was being repaired. Frescoes of Christ Pantocrator (Ruler of All),
John the Baptist, cherubim and archangels a
re original to the church. Paintings in the narthex are from St. Spyridon’s Church
and date to about 1700. The church was restored between 1954 and 1956 and the present form is close to that of the original. The fa├žade on the narthex is decorated with brick Kufic patterns.

Sources: Wikipedia “Church of the Holy Apostles (Athens, Greece)”; www.planetware.com/athens/agora-gr-ath-agor; www.athensinfoguide.com/wtsagora10; www.sacred-estinations.com/greece/athens-agii-apostoli-church

1 comment:

  1. Quilt inspiration arises from the marble floor and that fabulous doorway.

    Nice photography!

    ReplyDelete